Don was in fine form for his show at the River Cree Resort, Edmonton on Jan 28th. Don was accompanied by his band, Vip Vipperman, Jerry Kroon, new regular Brad Albin and Ray Herndon who was covering for Mike Severs at this show. Tony Migliore is recovering from hip surgery but will soon return to lead the band.
What Don’s been doing recently and things to watch out for in 2017:
1. Don’s new album “Botanical Gardens” will be released in 2017 featuring all new original compositions.
2. The Starry Starry Night 3-disc package will be released in the UK this summer by Weinerworld with US and worldwide releases to follow. The package includes two re-mastered HD DVDs and an audio CD.
3. Two of Don’s stadium shows from the 1980s in Cork, Ireland have been re-mastered and will be released in full HD by Weinerworld following the Starry Starry Night release.
4. Don’s 70th birthday concert recorded on October 2nd 2015 at Fairfields Hall, Croydon, UK will air on TV next year.
5. Don has recently recorded 23 songs (pop, country, rock, etc) in Nashville for an upcoming Playin Favorites type album.
6. Don is currently writing new songs and for the first time is collaborating with another celebrated songwriter (and Don’s guitarist) Vip Vipperman.
7. A new BBC documentary about Don is in the works.
Don McLean is returning to Europe for a show at Belfast’s Waterfront Hall on September 30, 2015 followed by a tour of several countries. Dates for Holland, Belgium and Norway have been posted. More to follow as individual dates are released for publication by the promoters. Don is also touring UK and Ireland in May and the USA through into 2016
“For more than 40 years I have rambled around every state of the union and many, many countries of the world. My primary interests in life have been America, singing, songwriting, and the English language. I love the English language as much as anything in life and words really do mean something. I thought it would be interesting as I reach age 70 to release this work product on the song American Pie so that anyone who might be interested will learn that this song was not a parlor game. It was an indescribable photograph of America that I tried to capture in words and music and then was fortunate enough through the help of others to make a successful recording. I would say to young songwriters who are starting out to immerse yourself in beautiful music and beautiful lyrics and think about every word you say in a song.” Don McLean, Feb 13, 2015.
On April 7 2015, Don McLean’s original working manuscript for “American Pie” sold for $1,205,000 (£809,524/€1,109,182) at Christies’ auction rooms, New York, making it the third highest auction price achieved for an American literary manuscript.